Ticks are parasites that bite our dogs to feed on their blood. They are eight-legged, tiny creatures that can swell up to the size of a pea once it has attached itself to the dog’s skin.
There are various types of tick that can attack our dogs and they are dog ticks, sheep ticks and hedgehog ticks.
Ticks are visible to the naked eyes and are usually spotted near a dog’s head and neck. One can themselves check for the presence of ticks on their dogs by simply parting their skin or using a tick comb.
Ticks are more common in woodland and grassland areas. They cause disease by transmitting microbes and bacteria. If you spot ticks on your dog’s skin immediately remove them as soon as possible to lessen the risk of any disease.
Infection from ticks can cause irritation and redness of a dog’s skin. And they are more dangerous when they transmit diseases from other animals.
Ticks can pass Lyme disease and can also cause babesiosis.
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection. If your dog is showing the following symptom:
- Lose of appetite
- Painful joints and swollen lymph nodes
Then you should contact your vet, they can recommend some antibiotics and will give a proper treatment.
Babesiosis is a rare disease, but there have been a few cases of it in the past. The symptoms of this include:
- Pale gums
- A swollen abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Yellowish skin
Ticks are blood suckers, they feed on your canine’s blood to stay alive. If your dog is highly infested with ticks then it can suffer from anemia. Young pups that have ticks on them can even die due to the loss of blood in them.
Some of the Diseases & their Causes
Tick Paralysis is caused by the toxins that are secreted by a tick on the dog. The toxins released by them directly affect your dog’s nervous system and can make them weak and limp. It usually begins with the symptoms of heavy breathing or when a dog has a hard time swallowing its food.
Anaplasmosis is caused by a bacteria that is carried by deer ticks. A dog when infected with this bacteria shows symptoms within a few weeks. The symptoms can include fever, diarrhea, joint pain and vomiting. Dogs can recover from it with oral medications prescribed for a few months.
Ehrlichiosis is transmitted by brown dog ticks and lone Star ticks to your beloved canine. A dog may show symptoms such as depression, lack of appetite and bruising.
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can be controlled with oral antibiotics but there is no vaccine available for it. A dog may show signs of fever, pain in the joints, depression, lameness, vomiting, diarrhea and reduced appetite. This disease is transmitted by the American dog tick and the Rocky Mountain spotted fever tick.
To deal with ticks there are various spots-on treatments, oral medications and collars that help in effectively repelling and killing them.
Preventive Collars are available in three Different Types:
1. High Frequency Collars: They emit ultrasonic waves that repel parasites from a dog. This type of collar poses no harm to any canine as it has no chemicals or gases in it.
2. Gas Based Collars: They release gases that kill pests that come in contact with it. These collars are comparatively less harmful as the gases do not get absorbed by dogs.
3. Absorption Based Collars: Nowadays, most collars in the market are of this type. They are widely used by pet owners. The collar contains insecticides that spread evenly on your dog’s skin. Though it is expensive, it surely does the work and is very effective.
Pet parents should be careful while choosing a trick treatment as the ones meant for dogs cannot be used on cats and vice-versa because it can be dangerous for them.
Here, we have the 4 Best Flea Collars for Dogs:
1. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar gives complete protection for 8 months. It is an effective, odorless, non greasy parasitic control solution. The collar has a mixture of Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. Dog owners who have experimented with several products before, believe that nothing works as great as a Seresto collar. Also, it prevents tick infestation within 48 hours of the collars application.
2. Adams flea and tick collar is a reasonably priced collar that is recommended by pet parents over any other pesticides. It is water resistant and provides protection to dogs for 6 months. It has a longer lasting effect than topical formulations like shampoo. This collar is adjustable and can be easily used on large dog breeds as well as on small breeds like Chihuahuas.
3. Rolf Club 3d flea and tick prevention collar for dogs offers 6 months complete protection. An odor free formula along with a waterproof design is a perfect treatment against ticks. It effectively kills fleas and ticks before they even bite your canine.
4. Arava tick prevention is one particular collar that has essential oil based natural ingredients in it. It gives full fledged protection for 6 months to your dogs. The collar is adjustable, one can give enough room for breathing to dogs, according to their neck size. This is an inexpensive collar that is waterproof also. It is one of the best tick collars for dogs who are sensitive or dogs with allergies or certain skin conditions.
These preventive collars are made up of a fine polymer matrix. The collar contains tick repellent chemicals. Once the tick collar fits on the dog’s neck, the chemicals are released and spread evenly over the pet’s body via the natural oils of their hair, coat and skin. The active agents diffuse into the coat of your canine.
Pest collars prove to be more effective against ticks. Since the ticks grave near the neck area more and a tick collar is worn over the same spot, the active chemicals in it are strong against them.
Collars that have ingredients like S-methoprene or pyriproxyfen are less toxic than other chemicals. So, one can opt for those collars that have these as active agents.
- Both flea and tick collars have active ingredients present in them that are slowly released over a time period to work against ticks.
- The chemicals, pesticides, oils or other ingredients that may vary according to each brand, present inside the collar will repel or kill the ticks.
- The tick collars are a much better option than topical solutions as they do not require reapplication every time and also it is a long lasting treatment.
Advise For Pet Owners
Every pet owner will agree that their pooch will be different from their neighbor’s pooch. So, every pet might also react differently to every collar, right?! Thus, you would need to try several different products before you finally arrive at the best one for your canine.
There are some active ingredients like permethrins, regular plant oils and pyrethroids that can be found in tick collars. Permethrins and pyrethroids, both are extracted from chrysanthemum flowers. These two act to disrupt the nervous system of pests like fleas and ticks and eventually poisons them to death.
By now, we must have understood that these tick collars contain chemicals to get rid of parasites. So, we need to be careful and maintain hygiene while dealing with them. One should always wash their hands with soap every time they touch the collar or their dog. One should also avoid touching their eyes as it can be harmful.
While selecting a tick collar, pet owners must carefully read the package’s label to ensure that it does not have any harmful ingredients like propoxur or tetrachlorvinphos. Also, the fact that whether the collars are waterproof or not is important to remember. A waterproof collar will eventually last much longer than one that isn’t. It also gives dogs the freedom to play in the water while wearing a collar.
You would want the purchased collar to give the desired results. For that a pet parent must make sure that the tick collar is properly fitted to their dog’s neck. A loose collar on the neck may not give the best results, plus the dogs too can get irritated with a collar that’s dangling from their neck. We have a simple technique for you to know when the collar is best worn. If you can easily slide your two fingers underneath the collar, then that means the collar is rightly tightened on the neck.
When we fall sick, we feel uncomfortable and easily get irritated. Similarly, our dogs too go through discomfort when they are bitten by ticks. So, as a pet parent, it is our responsibility to look after them and ensure they are healthy enough to fool around with us every day. Occasional check ups or when the need arises, one should definitely visit a vet with their pets. Even when we are confused about what to do and how to help our pets, a vet can be our rescue. They are an expert in this field about dogs and will surely be able to guide us properly.