Fleas are burdensome for our pets. They not only make your dog uncomfortable, but also pose a threat of transmitting several diseases to them.
Although fleas are tiny parasites that may not look harmful, they are popularly known for causing Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, Babesiosis, Echriliosis, Flea Allergy Dermatitis and many others.
A dog infested with fleas can feel very troubled. They seem to constantly scratch themselves all the time. Dogs may also go through inflammation of their skin (red skin) and also bald patches can be spotted because of the continuous scraping.
Flea collars are basically plastic collars that release various pesticides and chemicals that are poisonous for fleas.
If pet parents are pondering over whether flea collars are effective and it is worth spending their money on, then all we would say to you is, at least try them once.
Many dog owners have given a thumbs up to flea collars. According to them, flea collars are very effective if one uses them properly.
- The active ingredients or the flea repellent is continuously released from the collar.
- They instantly kill fleas when they come in contact before they even dare to bite a dog.
- The application is simple. One just needs to ensure that the flea collar fits on their dog’s neck. It is hassle free, unlike applying topical solutions on a dog which can be very messy and time consuming.
- Every best dog flea collar has a longer shelf life. They last comparatively longer than topical treatments. Generally, every flea collar guarantees a protection period between 5 to 8 months.
- Since almost all flea collars have the water resistant feature, they remain productive even when your dog is completely soaked in water from head to toe.
- They are very convenient. Contrary to flea solutions that need time to dry upon a dog’s skin, flea collars do not involve waiting. They are non- greasy and can be worn all the time.
- There are some best dog flea collars that are great at even repelling a flea. For instance, Hartz Ultra Guard Plus Reflective Flea and Tick Collar is one such product that kills and repels fleas, flea eggs and ticks up to 7 months.
- It is believed that adult fleas can live up to one year under their favorable conditions. So, instead of purchasing topical solutions and oral medications time and again, a flea collar can be opted to stay tension free. A pet parent would only require 2 flea collars in a year for their dog.
If some of you are worried about the chemicals used in flea collars and don’t know what type of reaction they will see on their dogs then, there are natural flea collars also.
Arava Flea and Tick Prevention Collar is one such flea collar that contains 11 natural ingredients. The collar is infused with essential oils and is actively strong at killing fleas and ticks. Arava Collar’s natural repellent is also effective in keeping insects away. And, it is water resistant too.
Talking about the reaction of the chemicals used in flea collars, pet owners who have decided to buy a collar for their dogs should avoid Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP) and Propoxur. These two chemicals have nerve damaging effects.
You can also consult your veterinarian about your dog’s case of flea infestation. They are more knowledgeable and are known as the experts in pet health care. A vet can explain which treatment and product will be more beneficial for your canine.
There is this particular flea collar that has gained immense popularity among all other flea treatment collars. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is highly recommended by Veterinarians. It is a great alternative solution to topical treatments and oral medications. Guaranteeing a full 8 month protection against fleas and ticks, this collar has two powerful active agents: Imidacloprid and Flumethrin. It is a waterproof collar that does not give off any foul odor and is completely non- greasy.
Thus, these flea collars are ideal for pet parents who are busy and sometimes cannot give enough time to their beloved dog. A flea collar can be used as a great preventative treatment when owners have missed their pet’s flea treatment schedule.
So, this was all about how effective flea collars are and what are the things one should remember about them.
All in all, they might be expensive for some, but they have stood out for performing excellently at their job of making dogs get rid of undesirable fleas and ticks.
So, don’t let your dogs be gloomy anymore when they are infested with fleas. Use a product that offers them fast- relief because when your dog is joyful, you get happy too. And, two happy souls together in a surrounding contributes to a happy house and a life.