It’s a human thing to save as much money as possible. We always look for alternatives that cost us less, but do not compromise with the quality.
Here we will help pet owners know whether flea collars are very expensive or are affordable. But, before that let us give you a quick dog flea collars review.
What are fleas? What are flea collars? How do they work?
Fleas are common parasites that attack your pets and live on their skin to suck out the blood. They are mostly found in grasslands and bushy regions or where there is great humidity. They can transmit various diseases and take away a dog’s comfort and peace.
It is a collar that is made from a mixture of plastic resin and flea repellent. It looks exactly like a regular collar but is made from plastic. Once the flea collar comes in contact with your pet’s skin, the active agents are released to protect your pooch from fleas. The chemicals or pesticides are very effective in killing and deterring them away. All flea collars generally last for 5 – 8 months, offering a longer protection time.
We have made a list of the best dog flea collars for pet parents. You can compare them and see which one is suitable for your budget too.
Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for dogs is one of the excellent products that provides relief against fleas and ticks. It claims to protect dogs for a period of 8 months. It effectively kills pests on contact and also deals with sarcoptic mange and lice.
It is expensive, but the results it gives covers up for that.
Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar for dogs aims at killing fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae together, and ticks too. Due to its fast acting formula, it proves very effective. It is an adjustable collar, giving room for breathing to dogs.
It is a reasonably priced flea collar that disturbs a flea cycle.
Activyl Protector Band for dogs is the second best flea and tick collar ranked itself by pet parents. It is strong against fleas and ticks that transmit Lyme disease. It also keeps buzzing mosquitoes away from your pooch. A water resistant and adjustable collar are other features of it.
A great product according to its price, it also helps in keeping other insects away.
Hartz Ultra Guard Plus Reflective Flea and Tick Collar for dogs is the best for those whose budget is low. A collar that can be worn along with your dog’s regular one, is powerful at killing fleas, flea eggs and ticks. The flea repellent when released from the collar gives off a fresh scent.
This particular flea collar by Hartz is best for the budget.
Dr. Mercola Herbal Repellent Collar is the best natural flea collar for dogs. It is recommended by veterinarians as it is completely toxic free. It is entirely infused with essential oils. It is the best dog collar for puppies.
The price is reasonable for pet parents who want to go all natural and safe for their canines.
There are various points a dog owner should remember before purchasing a flea and tick collar because no one would want their money to go to waste.
- Select what type of flea collar you are going to opt for, will it be a chemical one or a natural one. If you are selecting a chemical collar be sure you are aware of the potential chemicals that may cause harm.
- The period of protection as stated by the manufacturers. Dog flea collars that last for longer months are great.
- Flea collars that claim to provide an extra protection against ticks, mosquitoes and other biting insects should be considered. These types of collars serve the function of multi-purpose.
- Flea and Tick collars for dogs do not leave any greasy residue and are completely odorless. They are a good alternative to the topical solutions used on dogs. Also, flea collars do not create any mess and are very convenient.
- Purchasing a collar for dogs can sometimes be hard if you do not get the right size for your pooch. Looking for flea collars that are adjustable solves this problem. A pet owner can fit the plastic flea collar on its dog and cut the extra length if any.
- Dogs who love to swim or love playing with water, but are infested with fleas should be given a water resistant collar. A water resistant collar not only works effectively even after it is soaked but also the flea repellent’s effect still lingers on.
Though flea collars have advantages and benefits, they also have some drawbacks.
- The pesticides or the chemicals used in flea collars can have side effects on some dogs. Pet owners who have a sensitive pooch should avoid using a harsh chemical flea collar on it for treating fleas.
- Flea collars are not recommended for pregnant or nursing dogs as the flea repellent might pose threat to the growing baby. If one is wondering what to do then, ask your veterinarian for a safe medication or treatment for them.
- After some days of using a flea collar, if you see signs of skin allergy on your dog, then immediately stop using it any further and seek veterinarian’s help in that case.
- The chemicals used in a flea collar are also hazardous for human beings. Pet owners should give extra care to hygiene. They should always wash their hands with soap after coming in contact with their dog or when touching the flea collar.
We believe that a pet owner can’t arrive at the right and perfect flea collar for their pooch in the first attempt. They will need to research a lot, read customer reviews and then decide on one.
We suggest that dog owners should first opt for a natural flea collar and see whether it works or not and then move on to a pesticide one if needed.