Having a pup is great but crate training it, is equally important. All dog owners love to have a well-trained and well-behaved pet and there is nothing wrong in it. The thing is that to have such a pet you need to invest your time, energy, and a bit of a hard work. Obviously, you would not want your pet to be one of a kind who tears things up and runs out of the house every now and then. Therefore, giving your dog crate training is an important part of owning a dog. This training shall teach your dog how to be independent and responsible. You as a dog owner might be thinking that by crate training your four-legged friend you shall be putting it into a cage but that is not true. There is a reason why I say so and i.e., dogs are animals that love and enjoy being in small places because it provides them with a sense of security and calms their anxiety levels.
This crate training might take some time however, it depends on how a quick learner your pooch is! You should not be disheartened by the time it takes because this crate training shall be very useful in various situations. If you are a new pet owner then, you can use a crate to teach the dog his boundaries and all your house rules. For example, by crate training your puppy, you can teach the dog what it can chew and what not. Also, if you have a crate, it shall become one of the safest ways of transporting your dog in the favorite car parked in your garage. So, now you can buy the best Large dog crate and take your pooch to all those places where he would not be allowed to roam freely earlier. If proper crate training is given to the dog, it would adapt to the situations and will consider the crate as a safe place for it where time can be spent whenever needed.
Which Crate to Buy for Your Dog?
Selecting a crate for your favorite pooch is simple. You just have to take your dog’s size into consideration. The best dog crate for car that you buy should be large enough for your dog to stand inside it and turn around. There are a certain types of crate that you shall most often find and they are as follows:-
- Plastic crates (also known as flight kennels or Vari-kennels)
- Collapsible crates
- Metal pens
The dog crates come in numerous sizes so that you can choose the best size according to your pet. You would not have to take too much pain in searching for dog crates because they are easily available at most of the pet supply stores. Do remember that the crate you buy should be durable, comfortable, and flexible. These three features shall allow you to provide your pet with different sorts of trainings. If your dog is among the ones that love to sleep in the dark then, you can go for airline crates (also known as kennel crates). These are more confined and enclosed. However, if the pet prefers open areas then, you can choose a wired crate for it. While choosing the best travel dog crate for your pooch, always make sure that you do not buy the one that is too big for your dog’s size. Since you are its owner, you must know how big in size your dog can get and then, choose the crate accordingly. The best thing to do would be, buying a crate for your pet’s adult size.
Let us Learn the Crate Training Process Now
- Step 1: Introducing your dog to the crate with a proper mindset
You can put the crate in such a place of your home where you and your family spend a lot of time. Do not forget to keep a soft blanket or towel in the crate. Now, bring the dog inside it and try to communicate. Your tone should be happy and adoring so that your pet can relax and does not feel secluded. The crate door should be securely fastened open so that it does not hurt your dog. Otherwise, the dog might get frightened.
Tip – Do not bring your dog inside the crate when it is playing rather bring it when he is calm so that he can consider the crate as a place of rest.
You can initially bring them for ten minutes and keep increasing the duration as your training process proceeds. To encourage it to come inside the crate, you can keep some food inside it. Remember, never force it to get inside the crate rather let it come gradually and naturally. If you feel that the dog is showing no interest in the food and treats then, try changing your trick by keeping its favorite toy near or inside the crate. Once your dog is standing inside the crate, you can lock the door and open it after 10 minutes. This, will help your pet in learning to stay inside it. However, if it begins whining or crying then, you shall have to decrease the time of it being inside for the time being. Make sure you do not open the crate door every time your dog begins crying because then it will assume that the only way out of the crate is to cry. You will have to be patient all this while as this particular step may take several days.
- Step 2: Keeping an eye on the watch
As a pet owner you must be knowing that the dogs do not like to pee at the place of their rest but if you leave your adorable pooch for long inside the crate then, it might end up doing the same. Always keep in mind that your four-legged friend needs time to play, walk, and use the bathroom so, you need to be careful with the duration for which you leave the dog inside the newly bought soft travel dog crate.
- Step 3: Playing crate games
Your pet shall only enjoy inside the crate if the place seems to be interesting. If you do not want your pet to get bored and come out of the crate then, you shall have to incorporate a few crate games and play with the pooch.
- Step 4: Keeping the pup naked
This is a very serious and important step so do not take it lightly. Whenever you begin crate training your dog, remember to keep him naked that means the dog should not have any collar or tags around his body because unfortunately if these items get caught up in the crate then, the poor fellow inside might get strangulated. So, be careful!
- Step 5: Finally crating your dog
- Crating it when left alone – Once you begin seeing that your pooch can spend around thirty minutes inside the crate without getting anxious or afraid, you can leave it inside the crate for shorter periods when you are going outside the house. Just follow the same strategy with which you used to trick the dog inside the crate and let it be there. You may also out some safe toys inside your pet’s soft travel dog crate. This shall keep the dog busy and you will get more time to enjoy outside. It is advisable not to leave your newly crate trained dog inside the crate for more than 20 minutes prior you leaving. Also, your departure should not be emotional otherwise, it will get difficult for you to leave and the pup would become restless inside the crate too. So, it would be better to keep it short and quick. On your return, do not be over enthusiastic and melodramatic on meeting your pooch, just stay quiet and normal. You should continue to crate your dog in alternate days so that it stays in his habit and when you leave it all of a sudden, it would not come as a shock to your pooch. Remember not to leave your dog inside the crate alone for more than four to five hours at a stretch.
- Crating it at night – During the night too you just need to stick to your strategy and trick the dog inside the crate. If you have a small dog or a puppy then, initially it would be better to keep the crate inside your bedroom or near the hallway so that the poor little creature does not get afraid or terrified. Since, puppies are small so they need to eliminate frequently during night therefore, if you keep its crate near then, you shall be able to hear when the puppy wines. Even if you have an older dog then also, you should keep the crate at night initially near you otherwise, they might feel socially isolated. Once the dog has slept comfortably, you can move the crate slowly anywhere you want.
I hope this article was very informative and many of your doubts might have been cleared regarding crate training your dog. The next time you can plan to buy the best travel dog crate without any guilt of putting your friend inside a cage. The only thing required on your part for crate training your dog is, patience as it can take up to 6 months in the process. To know about more products you may visit catsdogsandfriends.com